Carat is one of the 4 C’s of diamonds. The price, significance, and value are influenced by it. It is an indicator of a diamond’s desirability. This particular quality is thought to be the most significant of the 4Cs.
The carat weight of diamonds does not necessarily translate to size. A diamond having a bigger size may not necessarily be of a larger carat weight compared to another, which is seemingly small in comparison.
Typically, the heavier a diamond stone, the more expensive it is. It is on this note that most people purchasing diamonds tend to go for diamond pieces with prices that will not deep wide holes in their pockets. While the price is mostly considered, they also consider the quality. So, the goal here is to purchase a stone that is not so expensive but also of high quality. Most buyers consider this. That is why statistically, Jewelers know the range of carat weight most diamonds purchased (bearing cost and quality in mind) fall within. This here, leads us to the question this article seeks to answer: WHAT IS THE AVERAGE SELLING WEIGHT OF DIAMOND?
In the US, the average selling weight of diamonds is somewhat between 1.08 and 1.18. In the UK, the average is way lower. This is because people in the US and other parts of North America have a stronger diamond culture. The average selling carat weight of diamonds in the UK is about 0.6 carats. This value is even lower in most parts of Asia and Africa.
Now, let us take a brief look at what exactly is meant by a carat of diamond.
WHAT IS CARAT?
Before 1907, carob seeds were used for measuring diamonds as it was believed that those seeds do not vary significantly in their mass. As time went by, carat (ct) weight became standardized.
Carat is not the size but the weight of a diamond. The size of a diamond measures its linear dimensions i.e. length and width, in millimeters. Carat measures how heavy a diamond piece is. A carat of a diamond is equal to 0.20grams of the diamond.
To obtain a carat of diamond, on average, it would take a miner about 250 tons of rock mining. Although, more carats can be obtained easily by lab synthesis. This event takes a lot of time, energy, and resources to obtain. This is why diamonds are greatly priced.
The carat weight of a diamond piece has a great impact on the look of the piece. This is particularly important when purchasing lifelong pieces like engagement rings.
One carat equals 100 points.
POPULAR SELLING CARAT WEIGHT OF DIAMONDS
1. Below 0.50carats: These normally go for prices below $1,000. Most commonly, they fall between 0.10 and 0.40 carats. Despite their low carat weights, with the right clarity, diamond pieces under this category can be incredibly sparkly. Minimalists who prefer understated pieces opt for diamonds within this range as they are simple and beautiful.
2. 0.50- 0.70 carats: Diamonds weighing 0.50 carats may be purchased at prices within $1000 and $2000 depending on other qualities. It may go for less. Diamonds of this weight are popularly used for engagement rings.
3. Near 1.0 carats: People looking to save money, instead of going for 1-carat diamonds, purchase those of carat weights near 1 carat. This is because, at the 1-carat mark, diamond prices jump. Diamond pieces of 0.90 and 0.91 carats are popular.
4. 1.25-1.50 carats: Diamonds of these sizes are noticeably bigger than 1-carat diamonds. They often have a sparkle that always draws attention, especially those of 1.50 carats. A budget of $4,000-$9,000 can purchase almost any diamond within this weight range.
5. 2.00-3.00 carats: diamond pieces within this range always make a statement as they are big and hardly go unnoticed. A 3-carat diamond with a perfect cut and color may go for as high as $40,000. Although, you may get the same for way less compromising on color and cut.
WHAT INFLUENCES PEOPLE’S CHOICE OF BUYING DIAMOND OF A PARTICULAR CARAT WEIGHT
This is mainly the reason why people go for diamonds of 0.9 carats instead of that of 1 carat.
The price of a diamond stone, keeping all other Cs constant increases with carat weight. While this is true, the increase may not be directly proportional, as a slight increase in carat weight may lead to a great increase in price, all other qualities being constant. One may be saving a whole lot by purchasing a diamond piece of 0.95 carats instead of one of 1 carat.
People’s budget influences their choice of diamond pieces with respect to the carat weight. They would always opt for those they can afford, even if it means going for a lower carat that they normally would love to purchase.
- The other Cs of the diamond
The value of a diamond is not only determined by its carat weight but also by the color, cut, and clarity. These together with the carat weight, make up what is known as the 4Cs of a diamond.
People may choose diamond pieces of a particular carat weight simply because other qualities the diamond possess is what they can afford or meet their cut-off.
- Personal definition of excellence and beauty.
This also greatly has a great influence on people’s choice of diamonds of particular carat weights.
People’s view of what is beautiful is subjective. A particular piece that someone may complain to be too big can be seen as not big enough for another person.
A minimalist may view a ring mounted with a 0.40-carat diamond as a perfect piece, meanwhile to another it is too small.
This only shows that people are different and that they have different choices of things.
The average selling carat weight of diamonds is between 1.08 and 1.18 in the US.